Friday, May 10, 2013

Pasta, Spinach, Eggs and Caciocavallo

    I love to turn leftovers into something fantastic!! At the farmers market this week I found some amazingly fresh spinach and a cheese that I haven't had in a long time.  Caciocavallo is an Italian cheese similar to mild provolone. I cooked up the spinach for a week night side veggie and cut up the cheese for a pick for drinks with a friend on another evening. So I decided to combined them with some pasta and eggs. No precise measurements for this dish, I just kind of threw it together. I whisked 3 eggs with a little heavy cream then added the left over spinach and cheese, I chopped them up a bit and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Then I cooked up a left over 1/2 of a lb of pasta from my cupboard. I drained the pasta reserving some of the water, returned it to the pot and added the egg mixture. Set the flame to low and cook slowly until the egg is set and the cheese is melted. This turned into a yummy gooey adult version of mac n' cheese!! When I go into the kitchen and just ad-lib is when I make the most special dishes, don't be afraid!!!
*add some pasta water if it's too dry
**I also saw a lemon out of the corner of my eye and added some zest at the last minute and I am so glad I did!!
***garnish with some grated parmesan for extra cheesiness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment