Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving for 4.....Things Change

I usually have a house full for Thanksgiving dinner but Dad has alzheimer's and can't handle a lot of people and loud talking so it was just me the hubs, mom and dad. The Menu was turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, butternut squash and stuffed mushrooms. Stuffing is my favorite and it took me a few years to come up with in my opinion the perfect recipe, I always make a double batch because I love leftovers cold.
2 bags cubed stuffing (I use Pepperidge farm herb)
2 rolls Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage
1 large bulb of fennel sliced
1 large onion chopped
6 ribs of celery sliced (I like to use the inside ribs and leaves)
1 stick of butter
2-3 cans chicken stock (I like my stuffing cake like but it's your choice)
fresh sage and thyme, and salt and pepper to taste


First I sweat the veggie in the butter and add the herbs and salt and pepper, all it to the dry stuffing (in a very large mixing bowl) the add the sausage to the skillet and brown, add to the bowl and pour in the stock and mix well. Put in into a casserole and bake about an hour. I never stuff my turkey but I always put an apple in the cavity, makes the gravy so tasty and I love the way my new convection oven makes the skin so crispy and the meat so juicy.
* gravy pan on the right was just the roux
** mashed potatoes were still boiling
*** this blog was for you Vin

No comments:

Post a Comment